24 September 2008

chicken grape salad sandwich

photo courtesy of flickr

I got this recipe from my sister who got it from Body for Life, which I have modified to my liking. I'm not a huge fan of tuna/chicken/potato salad sandwiches, mainly b/c of my aversion to mayo. But this recipe calls for a small amount of light mayo and is really good. It's so easy to make and is a hit at baby/wedding showers I've thrown. You can prep it the night before, chill, and serve the next day. It allows he flavors to marry and tastes better 24 hours later.

Chilled Grape Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
  • 6-7 chicken tenders, cubed and cooked with salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, chilled, halved
  • 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, chilled, halved
  • 1 apple, cored and diced
  • 1/2 cup LIGHT mayonnaise (do not use regular...it doesn't taste the same)
  • 2 lemon, halved
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • pita pockets or croissants
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

once the chicken has been cooked, mix all ingredients together. Simple as that. You can also add romaine or spinach leaves to your croissant/pita pocket if you like. Serve with a slice of melon and sweet potato fries or Kettle Chips: Salt and Pepper flavor (I couldn't get enough of those when I was pregnant with Jack).

5 comments:

Janie and Lyle said...

Wow, Brit -- thanks for all the great recipes! Fall inspires my love of baking and cooking as well!

jonna said...

I can't believe you still use that recipe. I haven't tried it forever...I think I must now! it was a good one

KJ said...

perfect lunch.

The Utley's said...

I was going to ask you for the recipe because my whole family loved this! I love the lemon kick it has. And yes, those chips are now a staple in our house. Thanks again for bringing us dinner...you're a great friend!

Jill Smith said...

Brittany,
I have a question about this recipe. I remember making it last summer and did something wrong. It calls for 2 lemons, halved. Do you juice the 2 lemons? How much lemon juice did you add? Last time I added way too much and it was gross (too "lemony"). I'm making a lot of this tomorrow, so I thought I'd ask :)
Thanks!