14 April 2009

taste of tuesday: malted milk ball dessert

...and here's a dessert to try with your pork.
I have a craving for malted malted milk balls as of late. love the crunch and the malt flavor. One of my favorite deserts my mom makes is her malted milk ball squares. I don't have a photo in fear that if I made this, I would eat it all. trust me, it is delicious. and with all the easter candy on sale, I'm sure you'll find a cheap bag of Whoppers.
(photo courtesy of google images)

Malted Milk Ball Squares
Ingredients:

  • 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs. cocoa
  • 2 eggs-separated
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. (1/2 pint) whipping cream, whipped
  • 1 c. coarsely crushed malted milk balls (reserve a few small pieces/crumbs for topping)
  • graham cracker crust (recipe below)

Directions:

1. prepare crust:

  • 1 c. graham craker crumbs
  • 2 tbs. sugar
  • 2 tbs. melted butter

mix all ingredients together and press into a 9 in. square pan. Bake 350* for 10 minutes. Chill before adding filling.

2. for filling: mix gelatin, sugar and cocoa in medium saucepan. in a separate bowl, blend yolks and milk together then stir into gelatin mixture. Let stand 1 minute. turn on heat to low and stir until gelatin dissolves, about 5 minutes.

3. add vanilla and then transfer into a bowl and chill-stirring occasionally until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.

4. when gelatin is ready, beat egg whites until stiff and fold into gelatin mixture. then fold in whipped cream and crushed candy. pour over crust and top with reserved crumbs. chill until firm.

1 comment:

Mike and Jenny said...

I LOVE malted milk balls, I'll definitely try your recipe!