02 June 2009

taste of tuesday: double chocolate banana bread

I am very particular when it comes to bananas. I have to eat them at a certain point of ripeness (usually a 24 hour window) or I toss them. in the summer months, they tend to go bad quickly, so I usually peel and freeze them for a cool snack. Jack calls them banana popsicles and prefers them over the real thing. if I don't freeze them right away, they usually end up in the garbage or in banana bread. love me some banana bread, so when I saw this recipe here I had to try it. chocolate AND bananas-a winning combination-but sure to give me heartburn.Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa (I prefer dutch process)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom of 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. (I'd use 2 smaller loaf pans-the bread is really rich)

2. Beat sugar, eggs, and oil in large bowl at medium speed until combined.

3. Beat in banana and vanilla at low speed.

4. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; beat into banana mixture at low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

5. Spoon batter into pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.

serve with a tall glass of milk!

2 comments:

KJ said...

i am so with you on bananas and ripeness. that window is so small. and chocolate banana bread has to be good!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

I just put some bananas in the freezer to make bread with. I might have to try out your recipe.