this is not a fancy dish that looks pretty, has exotic ingredients or requires special cooking instructions. just like my Midwestern grandma from which this recipe stems, it is comfort food-simple, yet flavorful. I don't know if hotdish is a Midwest thing, a Scandinavian thing, a Minnesotan thing, or my grandma Betty's thing. what you call a casserole, I call hotdish (aka: poor man's dish). I usually don't like recipes that call for cream of anything, but in this recipe, I love it. and bonus-it is Jack's favorite meal. he will eat left overs for days. I made it for dinner last week and Jack could not wait for it to cook. it always receives a thumbs up from my boys. it is so easy and I always have the ingredients on hand. this recipe is perfect for that extra frozen hamburger you have sitting in your freezer. there are no real measurements which allows for pretty much anything. serve with steamed green beans and a green salad and you've got an easy go-to meal for those busy nights.

Grandma Betty's Hotdish
Ingredients:
- 1/2-1 lb hamburger, browned and drained
- 1 bag of elbow macaroni, cooked (can use what ever pasta you have on hand)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2-1 can milk (depending on how "wet" you want your hotdish)
- 4-5 large spoonfuls of sour cream
- cheese-lots of cheese, shredded or cubed
- S&P to season
- optional fillers: frozen peas
Directions:
combine all ingredients in a large casserole dish and cook @ 350* for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
3 comments:
This hotdish variation is my favorite... YummmmmmmmmmmmmmSqueezes to Jack- G;ma
Hotdishes are a Midwest thing for sure, I love them..but no one will eat them but me. I am still known to make a pan of tatertot hotdish to myself :)
sometimes a casserole/hotdish is the perfect meal. My guys would definitely eat this one.
Post a Comment