19 January 2010

taste of tuesday: cookie pops with glaze icing

it seems the seasonal isle at the grocery store was transformed from Christmas to Valentine's the day after Christmas. each year, I feel the transition from one holiday to the next comes earlier and earlier, rushing me through the current holiday just to get ready for the next. needless to say, I've had Valentine's day on my mind for a few weeks and wanted to try out these cookie pops for the occasion. I made a batch and took them over to our Bachelor viewing party last night to test them out (don't judge. this is the first season i've watched since the very first one ages ago. just an excuse to get together with the ladies. but no more 3 a.m. chat sessions. tell me to go home).

I have the best sugar cookie recipe from Britnee. The first time I made them, I tho't the 1 cup measuring cup as a 1/2 cup, doubling the amount of flour for the dough, and almost burning up Brit's Kitchen-Aid motor. I've come a long way since that day in her kitchen 8 years ago. I've always frosted these cookies (recipe here) which make them super moist, but I've always wanted to try a glaze. just worried if it would dry them out. much to my surprise, they were moist (key: slightly under cook them). Glazing them gave them a polished look but a lot of work. I ended up only frosting half of the batch and freezing the other half for later.
Sugar Cookies
(Britnee Fulmer)
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 c. flour

Directions:

1. Cream together sugar, butter and sour cream in a large bowl until well blended.

2. Add egg and vanilla. mix well.

3. add baking soda, salt and flour. mix until combined. DO NOT REFRIGERATE!!! Roll out and cut into desired shapes. if making cookie pops-make the cookie a little thicker and then press cookie onto lollipop sticks (can be found at craft stores). Bake at 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes depending on size (best to under cook slightly if glazing them). You just want them golden on the edges. Don't over cook! let them cool completely before frosting or glazing them. I even read to place them in the freezer to make the glaze go on smoother.

Glaze Icing
(Our Best Bites)
Ingredients:

  • 1lb powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 C)
  • 6T C whole milk (low-fat actually works, but use whole if you can)
  • 6T light Corn Syrup (6T is equal to 1/4 C plus another 2 T)
  • 1 t extract (I used clear vanilla extract so my white was a pure white. can also use almond or any other flavored extract)

Directions:

With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth (no lumps!) Then stir in corn syrup and extract.

You can leave the glaze as is, or thicken it up a little with powder sugar to pipe the edges and decorate. (go here for a more detailed instructions and photos). once dried (overnight), package in clear bags and ribbon and deliver to your Valentine. use your imagination and have fun with it.

some other cute Valentine goodies:
flower pops
fudge
windowpane hearts
pretzel treats
red velvet cake balls
oreo kisses
red velvet sandwich cookies (twist on the homemade oreo)

4 comments:

Angeleah said...

Okay, seriously, is everything you do this cute. Those cookies look so great- you should own some kind of shop or something!

N. Tipps said...

Oooo. So pretty. Thanks for sharing.

The Cox Family said...

Brit, did you bake them with the stick in them already, or did you add them after they were done?

Jack Attack said...

on the stick