16 February 2010

taste of tuesday: recipes tried and recipe wanted

no matter how many times I try, I can never seem to make a good tasting guacamole. my favorite are from Chipotle and Agave. I can never seem to make it tastes as good. so I am calling on you to share your favorite guac recipe. do you use lemon or lime? fresh garlic or powder? cilantro and onions? salsa? do tell...
and a few recipes I've tried in the past months (sticking to my new year's resolution)
  • artichoke stuffed chicken breasts: not worth all the work they took to make. you could take all the ingredients and throw them together with pasta and a sauce for less effort, same taste.
  • buttermilk baked chicken: no flavor. I've always heard using buttermilk makes the chicken stay moist, but I found it to be dry and the cornflake crust didn't stick to the chicken. my stove top chicken fingers are better.
  • london broil marinade: this recipe was lacking salt and would have been better on flank steak. london broil was on sale so I tried it instead. not good. next time: more salt and flank steak
  • homemade granola: this is the 3rd recipe I've tried and still no success. burned every batch. if you've got one that's a winner, loaded with cranberries, apricots and nuts, do share. and coconut is always welcome...
  • chocolate tofu cheesecake: truth be told, I haven't tried this yet. it has been book marked for 6 months. I was intrigued by the use of tofu making it a "healthier" cheesecake. I like tofu, just not sure I would like it in a cheesecake. maybe I'll try it out at the ward cook off this weekend. if you attempt it, let me know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to work for Chipotle! All they add to their guac is cilantro, lime juice, purple onion, and I believe some kosher salt. I don't remember the exactness to it, but that is how I make it now, I just keep adding to it until it tastes right, people always love it.

camiwells said...

Hey Brit for guacamole I usually just make a pico first-
(roma tomatoes, onion(any color I use yellow), cilantro, and half a pepper (serrano or jalapeno)-
I add a little honey then lime juice lots of cumin, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper to the pico, then I just mash in some ripe avocados.
It's pretty simple but everyone usually loves it! My father in law adds lemon pepper and grated parm cheese to his and its pretty good too!

Amy said...

This is my fave granola recipe...it's basic and you can adapt it by adding whatever nuts and fruit you want. http://www.travelerslunchbox.com/journal/2007/6/9/the-lip-ladys-secret-granola.html
The only tip is make sure you add your fruit after the granola is baked. I forgot once and my dried cherries were like little rocks.