06 July 2010

taste of tuesday: turkey sliders with mango chutney

This was the first 4th of July we have celebrated at home in 5 years. Usually we beat the heat and head to northern Utah to cool off at my parents and enjoy a small town 4th of July. Girls camp is next week so travelling home was not an feasible. With the 4th falling on a Sunday, the holiday celebration lasted all weekend, which was exhausting. Despite the lack of sleep and late nights, we had a great time. I really enjoyed spending the weekend with my little family and friends, complete with a parade, fireworks, and good food.

Turkey sliders have been on my list of things to try (keeping true to my new year's resolution). Before the midnight show of Eclipse, we went to LBS where I had the turkey and and ahi tuna sliders. The tuna was great, but the turkey sliders left me wanting the savory ones from here. I was determined to make my own version for our 4th of July BBQ. I was pleasantly surprised at how juciy they were. Aaron liked them so much he ate 2! I will definitely be making these again with apple cranberry chutney.

Turkey Sliders with Mango Chutney
(adapted from Mar-a-Lago Turkey Burger)
Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 3 Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced
  • 1/8 cup canola oil
  • 4 pounds ground turkey breast
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
  • 1 lemon , juiced and grated zest
  • 1/2 bunch parsley , finely chopped
  • Mango Chutney (found at Whole Foods)
  • Buns

*this makes 8 big burgers. I quartered the recipe and made 4 burgers. couldn't find buns small enough to make sliders, although I heard Trader Joe's carries them.

Directions:
1. Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.

2. Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

3. Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve on a toasted bun with a large spoonful of mango chutney

2 comments:

N. Tipps said...

Where do you get the slider buns? I've been meaning to send you the recipe for the Balsamic Raspberry Chicken. Hopefully soon!

Jack Attack said...

I didn't have slider buns. just used a smaller roll. I've heard there are slider buns at Trader Joe's. do you have those out there?