16 March 2010

taste of tuesday: pesto chicken

our week is crazy and family dinners aren't going to happen. I really wanted to have an all green menu for St. Patrick's Day so we had it on Sunday. I wanted foods that were naturally green and did not include a lot of food coloring. an no corned beef or soda bread. I found this great chicken recipe over at your homebased mom. it was SO easy and I loved how moist my chicken was. worthy of a repeat.Pesto Chicken
(South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook via your homebased mom)
Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 C pesto (jar or homemade)
  • 2 oz. shredded part skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 C)
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Spread 1/4 cup of the pesto in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Lay chicken breasts over pesto and spread remaining pesto on top of chicken.

2. Cover baking dish with foil and bake chicken until cooked through – 20-25 minutes. Uncover and top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 5 more minutes. Serve hot. (spoon the pesto from the bottom of the pan over the top of the chicken before serving.)

To round out my all green menu I served it with:

  • couscous with green peas
  • roasted asparagus (learned that Jack is fan of the "tall trees")
  • green salad
  • lime jell-o jigglers
  • rainbow cupcakes

Other 'green' menu items:

1 comment:

Angeleah said...

This looks really good, I don't know if my husband likes Pesto but I guess we'll find out.