05 October 2010

taste of tuesday: creme brulee french toast

In 24 hours I will be kid free. The husband and I are off 6 days to do absolutely nothing! The only thing planned is our flight to and from our destination, otherwise we are free to sleep in, read books uninterrupted, stay out late, and eat whenever and where ever we'd like. Mom, Dad, along with my sister and brother, are taking care of my babies and I know they are going to have a blast and be spoiled.

Before I part, I wanted to share this delicious recipe from my cute friend Kelly. Caramelized sugar and custard meets one of my favorite breakfast foods--heavenly! It was perfect for our General Conference breakfast. May even become our new Christmas morning tradition. Don't forget the syrup--this is one that doesn't remind me of smelly preschool kids. I could eat it everyday. Creme Brulee French Toast w/Magleby's Syrup
(Kelly Ahlander)
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 C. butter
  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 2 T. corn syrup
  • 1 loaf Texas toast bread, extra thick slices (I used a loaf of french bread instead)
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/2 C. half and half
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 t. vanilla

Directions:

In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat until smooth stirring occasionally. Pour mixture onto large, greased jelly roll pan. Spread to cover surface. Place 12 slices Texas toast bread in a single layer to cover pan. Mix together eggs, 1/2 & 1/2, salt, and vanilla. Spoon mixture over each piece of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350. for about 30 mins. Remove from pan and serve immediately. Flip bread over when serving so the brown gooey side is face up.

Magleby's Syrup

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Bring to boil, add vanilla last. Soak your french toast in this delicious (and maple free) syrup.

2 comments:

S said...

Sounds so yummy! Can't wait to try it!

Kelly said...

Britt you are so cute!! I am so glad you like the french toast! its one of my favs too! Have so much fun with Aaron, I am jealous, I need vaca without the kids! Also, I wanted to tell you Parker didn't walk until he was 16 months, and has been running ever since. :)