26 May 2009

taste of tuesday: summer pasta salad with citrus herb dressing

I have referenced this salad many times and have received many request for the recipe (which originally came from Brit), but I don't have it written down anywhere. I realized this yesterday when I went to make it for our Memorial Day BBQ. So, I tho't I'd share it and get it on paper (and ready for print) so I can easily find it next time I want to make it.

Summer Pasta Salad with Citrus Herb Dressing

Ingredients:

Salad:

  • 1 package pasta, any kind, cooked, drained & cooled (I like to use the tri-color spiral pasta)
  • matchstick carrots
  • red bell pepper, chopped
  • cauliflower, chopped
  • cherry tomatoes
  • broccoli, chopped
  • black olives
  • fresh basil, chopped
  • cucumbers, peeled & diced
  • baby spinach
  • feta cheese

*all veggie amounts are as desired and are optional (I've never used the fresh basil or cucumbers b/c there is SO much in this salad already)

Dressing (mix in quart jar)

  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup GOOD orange juice
  • 1 1/2 TBSP onion salt
  • 1 TBSP garlic salt
  • 1 TBSP thyme
  • 1/2 TBSP rosemary (I don't use this-not a huge fan)
  • 1/2 TBSP basil
  • 1/2 tsp. dill seed

shake until sugar is dissolved. add enough olive oil to fill quart jar. (this makes A LOT and you don't need it all for the salad-use leftovers for a spinach salad or marinade)

Directions:

Mix all salad ingredients except fresh basil, cucumbers, spinach and feta cheese. toss with dressing, adding a little at a time. I do this a few hours before I serve it b/c I find it soaks in the flavor of the delicious dressing. add the last 4 ingredients just before serving.

2 comments:

kristenita said...

That salad sounds so yummy!!

(have you ever tried fresh rosemary? I'm not a fan of dried, but love it fresh!!)

Anonymous said...

As of right now I am scheduled to have a c-section on the 13th, and I think it will take everything I have to make it until then...LOL